Wednesday, November 22, 2017

In Rememberance--How David Cassidy Outed Me


CNN reports: David Cassidy, who came to fame as a '70s teen heartthrob and lead singer on "The Partridge Family," has died, according to his publicist Jo-Ann Geffen. He was 67.

From the Los Angeles Blade by Troy Masters:

I was an ecstatic 12 year old when I picked up a Tiger Beat magazine in 1973 and read David Cassidy’s concert schedule. He was set to perform in Nashville.

Mom was getting her first hints that her son was a tad nelly as I continued my ranting obsession with David right up until concert time.

“Troy,” she said, “you’re supposed to like girls.” My sister chimed in with deliriously gleeful agreement.

I felt exposed and stupid. But in a burst of indignant righteousness I exclaimed, “But I don’t!”


See full story here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read this full article earlier today on a different page; thank you for sharing your story. I suspect, given the time frame of David Cassidy's rise into popularity, that you and I are likely not far apart in age. I don't know that I understood as you seemed to, that I was gay. I knew I was different, didn't necessarily fit the norm for boys my age, the only clue I really had at the time is that I tended to admire male singers, actors, etc. I don't believe I was aware that there was a name for it nor that there were others like me. I enjoyed reading about your perspectives both then and now.